How to use Google Analytics
In order to understand where your customers come from, what they do on the site and whether they are contributing to your goals and conversions we need a thorough understanding of how Google Analytics for websites works and what you can do with it.
Overview of Google Analytics for websites
Google analytics allows you to track where your visitors come from, what they do on your site, to provide you with aggregated information about types of visitor and help you tease out some meaningful segmentation. It will tell you how far down the conversion funnel they go and how successful you are at retaining them. If you tag your campaigns effectively it will also tell you how effectively you spend your marketing money.
In order to use it effectively, you need to know what you are trying to achieve and what metrics make sense to you in the context of your business model. Things like
- Who are my visitors
- Where do they come from
- What do I want them to do AND do they do it
- what does the site overlay tell us
- Where do they abandon our e-commerce funnels.
- You want outcomes by all traffic sources
- Start with goal overview – source/medium and then go to full report from there
It’s always important to consider how the online activity sits beside more conventional models. It is surprising how online and offline activity can run parallel.
For instance Churn and Bounce Rate can be seen as analogous as can Brand awareness and Word of Mouth uplift and test drive /acceptance rate vs clickthrough rate / transaction conversion rate.
What can I do with google analytics
We can use metrics from Google analytics to
- Fix big losing landing pages
- Focus on checkout, Registration and Lead submission pages
- Optimise the number and layout of ads
- Test different prices and selling tactics
- Test box layouts, DVD covers etc
- Optimise outbound marketing activity
- Segment our customers more effectively by their behaviour
- See what is happening in real time
Above all it allows us to make changes and view the results snd make sure our experiments are properly controlled.
What will this course teach me about Google Analytics?
We will teach you to analyse what’s going on and optimise site behaviour. We will show you how to set meaningful KPIs to measure progress to your goals and we will show you how to set up a serious of micro goals and track them to measure engagement of customers in a non e-commerce environment as well as in more directly commercial sites.
Find out more about Google Analytics Training
Find an introduction to machine learning